FREE NEWSLETTER

Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix postponed

19 March 2020

F1 has postponed the Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix due to the global spread of the coronavirus.

The news follows the cancellation of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix last week, and the postponement of the Chinese, Bahrain and Vietnam Grands Prix.

The Dutch Grand Prix, due to return to the calendar for the first time since 1985, was set to be held at Zandvoort on May 1-3, with the Spanish race following a week later, and the Monaco Grand Prix on May 21-24.

But with the ongoing coronavirus situation all three races have now been put on hold. A statement said: “Formula 1, the FIA and the three promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern.”

All parties said they would study the viability of finding alternative dates to run the races later in the year, and the statement added that Formula 1 and the FIA expect to be able to begin the 2020 season “as soon as it’s safe to do so after May” but will continue to monitor the situation.

The statement in full:

In view of the continued global spread of COVID-19 and after ongoing discussions with the FIA and the three promoters it has today been confirmed that the Formula 1 Heineken Dutch Grand Prix 2020, Formula 1 Gran Premio De España 2020 and Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco 2020 will be postponed.

Due to the ongoing and fluid nature of the COVID-19 situation globally, Formula 1, the FIA and the three promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern.

Formula 1 and the FIA continue to work closely with affected promoters and local authorities to monitor the situation and take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates for each Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve.

Formula 1 and the FIA expect to begin the 2020 Championship season as soon as it’s safe to do so after May and will continue to regularly monitor the ongoing COVID-19 situation.

Partners

Bosch logo

Latest issue

FREE Newsletter

Stay up to date and a chance to win 1 Years Subscription*

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Latest Tweets

Stay up to date with our social world

RACE TECH magazine @RaceTechmag
24 Feb
Ferrari to join WEC with Hypercar from 2023 - https://t.co/M90lqPPJIX https://t.co/TV5GLr8v7x
RACE TECH magazine @RaceTechmag
22 Feb
Aerodynamic testing tunnel to launch this summer - https://t.co/MDMwecDxVr https://t.co/JvfUmfzR1j
RACE TECH magazine @RaceTechmag
16 Feb
Red Bull Racing launches powertrain company - https://t.co/MkgaHReggJ https://t.co/xVslHjGVfy
RACE TECH magazine @RaceTechmag
11 Feb
Formula 1 halts development of Power Units from 2022 - https://t.co/5ZznO4l7pl https://t.co/7vQTts7F4Y
RACE TECH magazine @RaceTechmag
10 Feb
In the March issue out now we look at BUTTON vs HAMILTON: The off-road passion that led from Lydden Hill to taking… https://t.co/UGK7U7GnMb
RACE TECH magazine @RaceTechmag
10 Feb
The new #LeMans #Hypercar regulations suffered a painful gestation period but could cars like GAZOO Racing’s GR010… https://t.co/74Tb0nqVg8
RACE TECH magazine @RaceTechmag
4 Feb
The March issue out now! Don't miss: The new #LeMans #Hypercar regulations suffered a painful gestation period but… https://t.co/vdpexmh1dm
RACE TECH magazine @RaceTechmag
4 Feb
Watch: Daniel Ricciardo at McLaren HQ - https://t.co/OvbWrwvBbV https://t.co/QUY6rqgs2d